Choose Your Location
Support & Recovery Groups
Plan a Visit
Who We Are
What We Believe
University of Next Level
6th - 12th Grade
Nursery and Preschool
Father Son Retreat
Allaso Ranch Camp & Retreat Center
Child Abuse Prevention Training – 2018
Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
1. It is the sole responsibility of the cabin leader to ensure the safety of the campers.
2. There must be physical contact in order to qualify as sexual abuse.
3. Studies show that the effects of child abuse often carry over into the child’s adult life and can include:
difficulty in forming long-term relationships
sexual risk-taking that may lead to contracting sexually transmitted diseases, including AIDS
physical complaints and physical symptoms
depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicide
all of the above
4. A child can be a victim of abuse with no outward signs.
5. A child is much more likely to be abused by a stranger rather than someone they know.
6. About _________ of all sexual abuse of children occurs at the hands of older children, primarily adolescents.
7. Molesters tend to use three basic strategies: _____________, _____________, and _____________, all wrapped in secrecy. (write answers below)
8. There is usually little a child can do to resist ____________, which is a very infrequent act of abuse. (write answer below)
9. The molester who gives gifts or other favors to the interested child is using ____________.
Loss of Affection
10. When a child is told that it is their fault that the molestation took place the molester is using ____________.
Loss of Affection
11. Without using the three listed above, one other way secrecy is maintained during an abusive relationship is ____________. (write answer below)
12. There must be a difference of five years between persons in order for it to be considered child abuse.
13. The On-site Protection and Prevention Policies are designed for the protection of the campers only.
14. Adults should use extreme care in avoiding ____________ encounters between themselves and campers as well as campers with campers.
15. Adult leaders must respect the ____________ of campers in situations such as changing clothes and taking showers at camp, and intrude only to the extent that health and safety require. (write answer below)
16. All discipline at camp should be ____________.
Constructive and Positive
Withheld until they are back home
17. ____________ is never a proper form of discipline.
Calling the parents
Witholding pool time
18. Physical hazing and initiations are allowed as long as they are supervised and do not get out of hand.
19. If a child discloses abuse to you, the most important thing you can do is ____________.
Take good notes
Make sure the abuse actually happened
Listen to the child
Respond to questions 20 – 23 by selecting the correct response for when a child discloses abuse to you:
20. You should ____________ the child. Never criticize the child or claim that the child has misunderstood what happened. It is not your responsibility to determine whether the allegation is true. Children seldom lie about abuse.
21. You should ____________ the child. Children who have been victimized may feel sad, angry, fearful, anxious, and depressed. Accept and understand the child’s feelings. Avoid telling the child how he or she “should feel.” Rather, emphasize that the child is not to blame for what happened. Praise him/her for courage and honesty, and promise you will get help.
22. You should ____________ the child. Along with the Church Leader, Group Leader or other trusted adult, take the child to a private place. Discuss the situation only with these individuals. Try to avoid repeated interviews about the incident. Never promise that everything will be okay. You can promise that you will do what you can to help.
23. You should ____________ the child. DO NOT attempt to handle the problem alone. This is important for the well being of the child as well as for your own protection. As a child care custodian, you are mandated by the law to report child abuse.
24. In the state of Texas, you must be able to determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that the abuse actually occurred before you are required to report it.
25. If a child discloses abuse to you at camp, the three on-site people that need to be notified immediately are:
Camp Director or his assistant
— Choose a Location —
Celina / Prosper
Hawkins / Allaso Ranch
Keller / Southlake